top of page

Things Your Puppy Should Avoid

While this list is not comprehensive, it does address many of the most common items that can prove harmful or even fatal for your puppy.

If you believe your puppy may have eaten any of the following, note the amount ingested and immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435.

  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

  • Alcohol

  • Batteries

  • Caffeine

  • Chocolate

  • Coffee

  • Detergents

  • Ethylene glycol - Found in antifreeze

  • Fertilizers - Keep pets off treated lawns until they have dried

  • Grapes and Raisins

  • Household Cleaners (i.e. bleach, ammonia, toilet bowl cleaner, drain cleaner, etc.)

  • Insecticides

  • Kerosene

  • Lilies (i.e. Easter, day, tiger, Japanese, Asiatic)

  • Macadamia nuts

  • Milk and Dairy

  • Medications (i.e. ibuprofen, antidepressants, cardiac drugs, etc.)

  • Mothballs

  • Nuts (i.e. almonds, pecans, walnuts)

  • Onions, Garlic, Chives

  • Poisonous plants (Several common ones listed below)

    • Autumn Crocus​

    • Azalea

    • Daffodil

    • Dieffenbachia

    • Tulip

    • Kalanchoe

    • Sago Palm

    • Oleander

    • Cyclamen

    • Amaryllis

    • Jimson weed

  • Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones

  • Rodenticides

  • Tobacco

  • Unbaked bread dough

  • ​Veterinary prescriptions when not taken in correct dosage

  • Windshield wiper fluid

  • Xylitol - Found in many gums, toothpastes and candies.

  • Zinc - Found in coins and some metal objects

bottom of page